• avatar alaskanj 03/27/10 12:28 am PST

Check the air ride compressor relay, not sure if these systems have a fuse also but might double check for that too....Otherwise the height sensor might of been damaged and it is no longer sending info to the computer that the front end is low to kick on the compressor. Im sure if you dumped the air out of the rear it would kick on the compressor and try to correct the suspension height for the rear end.... Might check in the manual for a possible manual switch for the system that you can use

Answers

• isellhondas 03/26/10 10:52 pm PST

I didn't know air suspension was an option on Expeditions.

I do know that on every car that has A/S it usually causes trouble as the cars age. Expensive trouble.

Is there a way to simply disable it or convert to regular suspension?

• alaskanj 03/27/10 12:28 am PST

• jonboy62 03/27/10 10:59 am PST

Found another post last night regarding the relay associated with the compressor and in troubleshooting it i found it to be bad, There are 4 wire leading into the relay. The larger wires will have 12V across them and be powered at all times while the other 2 smaller gauge wires will have ~7-8V across them. If the voltage is there and then the relay is bad. Note the 7-8V has to be checked when the engine is running with all doors shut and system low enough to signal that it needs air to the bags. If there is not 7-8V across those wires then the problem is before the relay.

• jonboy62 03/27/10 10:27 pm PST

Verified that no low voltage was getting past the compressor relay this morning by running the engine with all doors closed and unplugging connector just prior to the compressor. No ~7-8V across small diameter wires. In order to check the rear air bags I jacked up the rear end and unbolted the rear height sensor. Then I jumped the compressor straight to battery to make it run and pushed the height sensor closed. Rear air bags immediately started filling. After they had pumped up with some pressure I stopped the compressor and sprayed the rear air bags with soapy water to look for bubbles. No bubbles seen so I rebolted the height sensor back in place having noted the adjustment height prior to removing it. Lowered the vehicle from the jacks and jumped the compressor to get it running again. After some time the vehicle raised to a sufficient height and held pressure. I stopped the compressor and shut off the system with the switch in the passenger compartment (under the dash right side). I drove the vehicle most the day around town to monitor and it seems to be holding.
    So I am monitoring it and will be buying a compressor relay and a new union for splicing the air lines together. The union I used to that I replaced the original leaking one is also slightly cracked but not leaking and was good for testing purposes but not something to trust long term. I suspect that the relay burned out on the long trip home due to the union finally failing causing the compressor to run nonstop and finally overheating and burning up the relay.

Top Suspension Experts View More