Answers

• morin2 06/30/10 5:07 am PST

It told you to change the oil and you did it - but it does not know that you did it. There is no sensor to measure the quality of the oil - it goes by engine rpms and mileage. So you have to reset the maintenance required reminder. It should be in your owner's manual. There are slightly different procedures per make & model - but its in your manual somewhere. Look in the index under "reset maintenance light" or oil change procedures.

Also, keep an eye on the Yaris forums from time to time. Often, when we have a problem with our cars, somebody else has already had the same problem and found the solution.

You can also post your impressions of your Yaris in the customer reviews here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/yaris/200
    8...

That is one model in which customer reviews are particularly useful because the car gets much better reviews from its owners than it does from the automotive writers.

• dulinaa 06/30/10 9:37 pm PST

The system must be reset after the engine oil replacement. Reset the system by the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the trip A reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at leat 5 seconds. The indication light flashes and the bars displayed in the odometer disappear gradually. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue flashing.

• ddright29 01/07/12 12:14 pm PST

Dulinaa, I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion. I was on vacation during the holidays and on my way home (800 miles away) , the light came on. I seached my Yaris Manual and could find nothing about the light or how to reset it. The only thing I knew to do was check the oil, which was fine.

• bighurtin 09/28/13 7:57 pm PST

@ Dulina, special thanks to you man... With your instructions it took no more than 1 min. Now my girl can leave me alone and stop worrying about nothing! Lol

• mcdawgg 09/30/13 12:29 pm PST

Side note to correct another's comments - this system does NOT use engine rpms, etc. It only goes by miles since the last time the light was reset. The light will go on after 4,500 miles, but it will only flash for about 5 seconds each time the engine is started. When it gets to 5,000 miles, the light stays on the whole time until reset. The instructions are in the owner's manual.

Top Engine Indicator Lights Experts View More