• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 04/22/08 11:52 am PST

Hard to say. There are various claims for HP increases and "smoother shifting" but you know, all of this that i've read is anecdotal. I have yet to see a rigorous independent dyno test that proves anything about these systems. There seems to be a scientific "logic" to it, but like many other "devices", the logic isn't as logical as it first sounds and tends to oversimplify the actual automotive environment variables.

I'm the type who says: "okay, run a car first on a dyno without this system in place. Then run it WITH the system installed and NO OTHER variables in temperature, etc. Then calculate normal HP variations that dynos produce, and show me the results".

Otherwise, I'm keeping my money in my pocket.

Answers

• obyone 04/28/08 7:26 pm PST

I've installed such a kit in a Nissan Titan after reading how it will "quiet" the motor noise and help the trans to shift smoother. Now that you've asked this question, I'm trying to think if it had made any significant changes. Come to think of it. No noticeable change. Just a lot of nice colored wires running through the engine compartment and under the truck.

• markcg 05/03/08 4:41 pm PST

Based on my experience there is some truth to this application especially in older cars where the grounds are some what corroded and thus not as conductive as they should be. Conversely new cars it is less of an issue. I have an 1996 Honda Civic that I have been tweaking to increase gas mileage and general performance. I put in NGK Iridium plugs, and had a noticeable performance gain primarily because of the spark lower resistance, less amperage/voltage to crate a spark and fewer misfires. I then had read about enhanced grounding and first cleaned and reconnected all of the easily accessible grounds after which I noticed a additional smoothing out of the idle and acceleration as well as cleaner audio from the radio/cd player.

Next instead of buying some expensive after market grounding kit I went to Home Depot and picked up some copper lugs that would allow me to attach some 10 THHN grounding wire directly from the battery to the grounding strap connector on the transmission that normally just connects to the frame. Total cost $2.00 for lugs and the wire was no cost because I had it on hand. With this mod every thing changed. Starting was faster, idle and acceleration gained power and remained remarkably smooth. Radio and heat/ac fan as well as lights performed better without any drop in output when put on sequentially (which did happen pre re-grounding.

So the answer in my case is yes it did work but it is probably something that is more effective with older cars and first thing to do is clean and reconnect all of your grounds (don't forget cleaning both battery terminals and connectors first) Then if you want to go a step further you can start experimenting with additional grounding wire that you can connect to various locations and take directly back to the negative terminal for enhanced continuity of the ground. Best to use 10 gauge stranded or greater with insulation that can withstand 250F or greater temperature. Going to Home Depot your cost will probably be less than $6.00.

Good Luck

Markcg

• rrath03 05/05/08 12:03 am PST

can i answer when its closed?

• patrick88 06/23/08 8:17 pm PST

Any time you add a ground to the system it can't do any harm (unless of course you're grounding the wrong part :-) ). As to whether it will work or help out???. We installed a kit a while back on a vehicle that was having a lot of "electrical" noise and it cut some of it out.
    I believe that if we would've went through all of the wiring and checked all the grounds to ensure that they were clean, proper and tight it would've done the same.
    Most of your electrical problems are caused by faulty grounds, whether the owner removed one that he/she didn't think was important, or just corroded and loose.
    I agree with Mr. Shiftright, I'd like to see a dyno test preformed to say yes it works 100%.

• audifan5 12/14/08 9:46 pm PST

Please excuse my ignorance but are you talking about car ground straps like the one sold at http://www.mizter.com/? Do these anti static strap really work?

• inot2011 09/12/11 3:23 am PST

Yes it will help your car performance...I recently installed a Home Made

Grounding Kits..there's a lot of HKS and other grounding kits in the market that will cost you around US$35.00@ middle level quality while the hi-end will cost you around US$60.00. You do not need to spend a huge amount on this, I used a multiple strand wires ( fine wire) with a very good insulation that can stand the 250 temp. and bought a silver plated terminal for a minimum cost of US$.50 cents and shrinkable tube to firmly holds the terminal and the wire after pressing the wire into the plated terminal.
    My car is a Honda Civic Vtec 1996, I only replaced at the moment the Original 3 points grounding kits intalled by the OEM which is due for replacement and when I started the car after replacing them, you can easily distinguished that the Car Starting Improves,Car Stereo Sounds was a lot better, Acceleration Response also improved coz of the Good Conductance of the New Home Made Grounding Kits, Headlights was a lot Brighter than before.
    Will add an additional 1-2 Grounding Wires this coming week end from the Negative Terminal to fully improve the conductance of the Grounding Wire from Negative Terminal>chassis> engine blocks. Will share the performance after doing it.

• pecci 11/30/11 3:50 am PST

Here is a link to a dyno-tested 2002 Suzuki Aerio SX. According to this article/dyno, a grounding kit added 3-5 hp.

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/i
    m...

Source: http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/i
    m...

Top Performance Mods Experts View More

6. obyone 150
7. sandman235 140