Answers

• saturndriver1 04/20/09 12:24 pm PST

Unfortunately, my car is being repaired with the same problem as I type this. To the tune of $1000. Apparently there is a problem with the power steering column and it has to be fully replaced. A quick Google search has turned up many other Saturn owners with the same problem. I've called Saturn customer service at 1-800-553-6000 and filed a complaint. I recommend that you do too (you will need your VIN). The representative was very nice and said that recalls get started with feedback like this from the consumer. Key here: if a recall is issued, you are reimbursed for the cost of your repair. Good luck.

• carman40 06/19/09 11:10 am PST

Yes, all these Saturn have this Electric Power steering problem, and so is my lovely 05 manual tranny.

Saturn is very aware is this problem, but have not made any efforts to correct of help us with any tips or advice. They are rather pleased to charge $1200+tax for parts and labor for this. How corrupt and smart. My car is parked right now and I'm looking at options, about what to do with the dawned car. Since I can't afford the dealer price tag on the steering column, DOES ANYONE KNOWS IF OTHER iON MODELS COLUMNS WILL FIT ON MY 05 MANUAL TRANNY...I found may steering well column but were all different year, and very least manual tranny. Does anyone know if other ions (03 thru 07 Automatic engine Power steering column will work on my car?)

PLEASE and PLEASE, if anyone has idea, tips or advice, I would sincerely appreciate that.. I'm ready to set the car on fire........and call it a total LOSS..complete piece of junck of a car made by complete incompetents lousy bunch of Saturn/GM engeneers...

JOHN

• fierroots 09/19/09 9:28 pm PST

I have a 2006 Saturn Ion with exactly the same problem. Saturn checked it out and told me that the Steering Motor needs replacing, They need to replace the whole lot steering column ($698) plus labor which comes to another $400.
    the total cost of the job is $1,100.
    I have investigated this online and have found many cases of the same thing. The Saturn mechanic even told me this was not an unusual problem.
    I have to pay, and hope there is a general recall on this.

• adept11 09/29/09 4:28 pm PST

Hi, 

I found the same problem with power steering in my Saturn Ion Quad 2005, and now I see it`s not only my problem. 
    I think we can deal with GM, but we need to make a power, all people who have problem with power steering on Saturn, PLEASE, send me a email, with your name, and problem, and when I will speak with GM, I will show him the number of people that have the same problem, and mayn they will help us, and make ``call down``.  I`m now wont to pay $1000+ about nothing, I paid for the car, and wont to use it, and not make any repairs! PLEASE send me email, and we will war with GM!

My email is: Adept11@gmail.com

• lwodarek 12/11/09 9:16 am PST

I am in the same predicament two days loss of work already this week. A garage changed the steering column and a module and the power steering still comes and goes. Too dangerous to drive the vehicle.

• tambolynn 03/03/10 3:23 pm PST

ANY ONE WITH A SATURN ION THAT HAS POWER STEERING PROBLEMS....PLEASE READ....The power steering recall on the cars just made by GM have the very same steering parts as the Saturn Ion. But the Ion was not included in the recall... PLEASE call NHTSA at 888-327-4236 to document your complaint. You will need car year, VIN #, and current mileage. With enough complaints, the Ion will be added!

• dbanda 08/03/10 12:55 am PST

I just bought a 2006 Saturn Ion a couple weeks ago from a dealership. After having it 2 weeks, I came across this same problem twice. I took it back down to the dealership and because they were not certified in Saturn they could not address my concern. I did have the extended warranty so I took it to an authorized Saturn service provider. Never had been there before, and when I walked up to set an appointment I told him my symptom with the Power Steering message, and he said let me guess, the message comes on the power steering goes out. He said we just received RECALL information yesterday. He checked my vin to see if it was included, and it was. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it taken care of. I couldn't find anything on the internet yet about a recall. I'll let you know how it goes.

• mtorres731 08/21/10 7:41 pm PST

I just got a letter from Saturn/GM today. They will fix it for free!!!

• mtorres731 08/21/10 7:41 pm PST

GM is going to take care of it for FREE

• mlw3u 08/23/10 8:03 pm PST

anyone know where I can find information that GM will fix this problem for free?

• jetcraftsman 03/22/11 12:00 am PST

This problem appeared on my daughters 2006 Saturn, audible alarm would sound then the steering would fail and the light illuminated. After the second failure I took it to our local Chevrolet dealer. I was quoted 103.00 to diagnose then 815.00 parts and labor to replace the steering column with eletric motor assembly included.

After repeated requests to check for bulletins and alerting him to our research that revealed the same system was present on the Chevrolet Cobalt and it was recalled our service advisor found a "special bulletin" that provided complete replacement of the assembly on 2004 to 2007 Saturn Ion's. 10 years or 100,000 miles and you did not have to be the original owner. Hope this helps.

• vickihiggins1 04/05/12 8:31 pm PST

Special Coverage Adjustment – Power Steering Assist Bulletin 10187 July 2010

MODELS: 2004-2007 Saturn ION

CONDITION
    Some customers of 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist, which could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Center will display a "PWR STR" warning message. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
    This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
    Retailers are to replace the power steering motor. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
    Involved are certain 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles equipped with electric power steering and built within the following VIN breakpoints:
    Year Division Model From Through
    2004 Saturn ION 4Z100001 4Z232317
    2005 Saturn ION 5Z100001 5Z183690
    2006 Saturn ION 6Z100001 6Z211250
    2007 Saturn ION 7Z100001 7Z210512

Top Saturn ION Experts View More

5. 571ng3r 30
6. mechinc1 25
7. simplyjester 25