Answers

Go to www.tirerack.com and enter your year, make and model. Click on the “tires” section. They will tell you both stock and alternative tires that fit your stock rims and suggest the best sellers. Usually you can go up one width ratio if you lower one profile ratio without affecting your overall tire diameter and messing up your speedometer reading. They have extensive consumer reviews of the best tires for all types of use, including all season SUV tires. I have personally used Kumhos and Yokohamas as replacement for the expensive Michelins for years as the best combination of cost and performance, but there may be better options these days. They have good installers all over the country that will receive the tires and install them for you. My experience is that you can save quite a bit of money buying your tires this way. Good luck!

• olivespet 11/02/09 7:24 pm PST

karjunkie...thank you for your response...I visited tirerack.com..looked at tire specs...my rims are 7.5....learned of rim width range vs. actual measurement of replacement tire....do you advise an exact match as an additional level of comfort...also, how do I research issues of clearance....concerned with steer tires...will tech mount tires and do a visual inspection...

you are a highly regarded expert...what would you do....Max height/width on 17' 7.5' rim...what brand...once again, thank you...

Almost any tire is better than those Goodyear Wranglers. I had these as OEM on my SUV and they were the worst tires in the rain I ever had. I also live in South Florida. Firstly, you should not try to raise the truck with big rims/tires. The overall rim/tire diameter must be kept stock to keep your speedometer working correctly. There are lift kits for that and I recommend you look at a 2 inch lift kit which is inexpensive to install, will not significantly alter the handling of the vehicle and will give you the height you want. Now as to tires, I strongly recommend sticking with the original 17 inch rims and going with a wider 265/70R17 size. If you're looking for an On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tire I would go with the Firestone Destination A/T. If all your driving is on paved roads or smooth country roads, I'd go with an all season light truck highway tire like the General Grabber HTS light truck tire. I also recommend keeping a seperate set of snow tires mounted on steel rims in the winter if you're relocating to Upstate New York. I lived there for 20 years and the snow tires saved my butt many times driving through a snow storm.

• olivespet 11/03/09 10:15 pm PST

I certainly agree with your assessment of the Wranglers....extremely poor performance in the rain....mild initial acceleration and they spin....I intend to eventually replace with a LT265/70R....my present tires are passenger rated and 240....any detailed suggestions on the 2inch lift...I feel as though 4-6 would be where about I want to sit/ride...I am 6'1" and I do not feel as though I am getting into or driving a truck (previously owned an F350 crewcab dually longbed)...will this work with the 265 or will there appear to be a vast area of nothing in the rear wheel wells (I have already installed the liners for a nice black backdrop affect)....

Thank you...

A 4-6 inch lift kit will require quite a bit of modifications to your truck and that gets a bit pricey. Parts will be between $2K-2.5K. With a 4-6 inch kit, you can use either 33 or 35 inch tires which are also pretty expensive. All this makes sense for serious off-roading capability but keep in mind that what you gain in off road handling you pay for in on road handing! Good luck!

Top Tires Experts View More