• avatar tntguy 11/17/08 8:42 pm PST

The flasher is one the front and at the very top of the fuse panel under the dash. You may have to remove the dash cover to get to it. It is the really long square relay in the middle.

Once you get it out why not fix it. It is pretty easy to do. Look at the end of the flasher relay with the prongs sticking out. There will be 2 plastic tabs holding it together. Break or bend these back. Pull out the insides. On one side will be all the components. On the other side will be solder joints. Get a magnifying glass and inspect these joints. One or two will probably have stress cracks. Just dab a little flux on this joint and heat it with a soldering iron until it melts back together. You may need to add just a little solder. Be sure to get the pins hot and not just the solder. They need a lot of heat. Slide the relay back into its cover, dab a little super glue or tape it back together, and you're ready to go.

Hope this helps.

I just did one tonight. Worked like a charm and saved me the $45.00 the dealer wanted for a new one.

Guy

Answers

• 0patience 06/25/08 8:40 pm PST

By the steering column, there is a relay junction block.
    Top row, 3rd one from the left (looking at the junction box) is the combination flasher relay.
    Part number is 4686094 and you may have to get it from a Chrysler or Jeep dealer.

But, did you check all fuses?

• tntguy 11/17/08 8:42 pm PST

Hope this helps.

Guy

• rlimas 05/27/09 12:15 am PST

I had the issue of the turn signals not working on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The directions from tntguy fixed the issue. I found that i had a crack in the solder connection inside the relay, and was able to fix with a simple solder gun, to re-connect.

Thanks again

• helmsmatt 05/29/09 10:03 pm PST

The internet is GREAT!
    I just did the relay re-solder trick on my relay and it worked!
    I spent three months cleaning and replacing bulbs and sockets to no avail.
    Pulled the lower dash off (steering column cover first with one screw on the bottom and it pulls apart, second, snapped out the small dash cover under the instrument panel, exposing two phillips screws.. one mor on the left side when you open the door, and two 10 mm bolts on the bottom rim of the cover....)
    Then pulled out the top middle relay (turn on flashers, or the signal side that works to locate it). Snapped off the cover without breaking anything (two small screwdrivers did the trick) and just melted the relay contacts on the bottom of the board with a solder gun and also the connections on the end of the bottom PC board. Put it all back together and it worked great!
    Thanks for all the tips!!! Couldn't have done it without you guys!

• yarnikov 05/22/10 11:44 pm PST

THANK YOU tntguy you save my day. me and my family are very thankfull.5/5

• dustysailz 01/11/11 9:15 pm PST

My '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4 wheel drive with fog lights developed a problem with the left turn signal. At times it would work and at other not so well. Inspection and a terrible snow storm are both approaching. From reading one of the posts I replaced the turn signal/flasher assembly which did not fix the problem. Tonight I returned to this site and reread the posts to locate the turn signal/flasher relay switch. Regrettably, I had to remove half the dash on the drivers side. But the relay is above the fuse box accessed on the drivers side above the drivers feet. As indicated the relay is in the third receptacle from the left on top of the block. A couple auto parts stores had them listed but there were none in stock. At 8pm i called a Jeep dealer, whose parts dept had closed at 5pm. With switch in hand I used two flat head screwdrivers to open it and remove the interior. After heating the soldering iron, I simply reheated the existing solder and added some flux to two spots which didnt seem to have much solder on them. I was very grateful that when placing it back into its receptacle that it worked as I did not notice the pins are numbered! Re[airing this switch saved $30-50 depending on where you would purchase it. So once again TNTGUY, allow a member to thank you for your advice.

• wvdavid28 03/20/12 10:45 pm PST

after reading the post on this im am gonna try the flasher relay on my 1999 jeepgrand cherokee cause my left side turn signals dont work (right side works fine) but they flash using the keyless remote and when setting alarm and use the 4ways. i was gonna replace the whole turn signal switch assembly but after reading im hoping that it can be just fixed with turn signal relay

• dicksonw 10/04/13 8:49 am PST

I managed to follow the instructions, having replace the turn switch gear (without fixing the problem), I managed to remove the flasher relay...quite tight space. Opened it, did the heat the connections with a soldering iron (I have to say I thoguh when doing it - I couldn't see any cracks - this can't be right - but I persited) put the relay back in (with abit of a struggle) and the flashers worked again.

I have 4 way working, both turn indicators not worked (well they occationally worked - becoming very occationally worked).

Anyway, it seams to all be working OK now, and if it fails again then at least I know to replace the Flasher Relay now.

thanks for the guidance.

Top Lights Turn signals Experts View More

7. 604doc 70